In the interest of transparency and providing career support for teachers who are considering their professional options, this simple reference is provided for teachers who are considering whether they may qualify for academic positions at Maple Leaf in the 2020 school year and beyond.
Please note that Maple Leaf World School (MLWS) non-British Columbia accredited positions are limited at this time. Relevant positions are posted with the code ‘AC’ rather than ‘BC.’
The transition to MLWS is expected to take three years. Until the transition is complete, all teachers will be required to apply for the British Columbia Certificate of Qualification.
This interim information is provided as a courtesy for teachers who are considering joining Maple Leaf, or extending their careers with the organization, and should not be considered authoritative.
Maple Leaf teachers who would like to apply for an academic position with can refer to the internal application reference.
To qualify for MLWS, teachers must have completed:
- A university degree with a major in a teachable subject
- 1-year teacher training program
- Supervised face to face practicum of 8 weeks or more, or 2 years teaching experience in a middle school or high school that has been evaluated by a principal or vice-principal in a certified school
MLWS teachers must hold a teaching certification issued or recognized by a government entity in one of the following countries:
🇳🇿 New Zealand
🇬🇧 United Kingdom
🇺🇸 United States of America (select states)
🇪🇺 European Union (Select countries)
* Academic teacher education supersedes qualifications – if a government has granted a teaching certificate but teacher’s education does not meet the requirements, the teacher may not qualify for MLWS.
If a teacher completed their education in a third country, moved to one of the above countries and was granted a teaching certificate or, it may not be valid for MLWS if it does not meet the requirements.
A teacher does not need to be a native speaker to teach an academic subject.
Teacher applicants who have completed their high school education in a language other than English, are required to demonstrate a language proficiency in either the TOEFL or IELTS language assessment to meet the following standards:
- IELTS 7.0+ average with no bands below 6.0
- IELTS writing band of 6.5+
- TOEFL iBT 88+ with no section below 20
- TOEFL Paper-based 570+, TWE 4.5+
- TOEFL Computer-based 230+, Essay 4.5+
However a teacher does need to meet nationality requirements to teach English language.