Teachers are paid monthly over 12 months and funds are deposited directly to the teachers’ home bank account in Canadian dollars and a portion of salary deposited into a Chinese bank account in RMB for local spending.
The 2020 – 2021 annual salary grid for teachers, in Canadian dollars. New teachers start at Step 1 and experienced teachers are placed on the scale with one step for each year of recognized teaching experience.
|Annual Salary (CAD)||$53,000||$54,000||$55,500||$58,000||$60,000||$63,000||$66,000||$68,000||$69,000||$71,000|
- Master’s Degree: An additional $1,000 is added to the salary step for teachers who hold a recognized Master’s degree in their teachable subject.
- Re-signing: Teachers who complete a two-year contract and renew for an additional two-years receive re-signing bonus of $1,000.
- Assistance with all logistical arrangements including visa application, flights and settling assistance.
- Annual $2000CAD airfare allowance and $100 extra baggage allowance for first time teachers.
- Premium medical insurance with emergency coverage in Canada during the summer holidays.
- Visa cost paid by MLES, including reimbursement up to $250CAD for required immunizations.
- Salary paid over 12 months, with 6 weeks of summer holiday, 4 weeks of winter holiday, and one week each in October and May during Chinese national holidays.
- Settling allowance of 5000RMB to assist with apartment set up.
- Dependent spouse/children living with the teacher in China receive annual flights, visas, medical insurance and tuition reduction.