Maple Leaf welcomes qualified teachers at all stages of their careers. Below is a quick reference for the requirements in order to be eligible for consideration as a candidate for employment.


Qualified applicants must hold a passport from an English speaking country or locale. Candidates from other countries or locales will not be considered for employment. An updated list is available here.

Individuals who have the right to work in China, including Hong Kong residents, and residents of Taiwan, Province of China, are welcome to apply.

In order to be considered for either an academic or language teaching role, Applicants must have completed high school studies in English.

Limited exceptions are available in the case of academic roles, in which case a recent IELTS or TOEFL exam is required. See information on the requirements here.


A bachelors degree from an accredited university is required. Diplomas and online degrees are generally not accepted.

In the case of academic roles, in general an advanced (master’s) degree is required, unless the candidate has completed a degree in education. Unfortunately, a diploma is not sufficient in most cases. See additional requirements here.


Candidates for language teaching roles must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and a TEFL/TESOL certificate.

TEFL/TESOL certificate is not required if a candidate has two years of teaching experience in a real world classroom, or a degree in education.

Academic candidates must hold a valid teaching certificate or license issued by a government body. Diplomas and online certificates are not accepted at this time.

British Columbia Certificate of Qualification holders are strongly preferred, as Maple Leaf is accredited by British Columbia Ministry of Education. Educators from other provinces of Canada are especially welcome.


Candidates for language teaching roles must have two years of real-world teaching experience.

Candidates for academic roles must have completed a real world practicum with observed teaching as part of their education program.